First Aid for Common Pet Poisoning

No matter how careful you are about your pets, pet poisoning accidents happen. When you’re not watching, your pet could snack on something poisonous; before you know it, the rat poison or what have you is gone and your pet is foaming in the mouth. That’s why all pet owners should prepare for an accidental pet poisoning by knowing some first aid for common pet poisoning cases.

See also:

Pet Poisoning First Aid Kit

A pet poisoning first aid kit should contain the following items:

1. Hydrogen peroxide 3%
2. Palmolive liquid dish washing detergent
3. Rubber gloves
4. Vitamin E oil
5. Ophthalmic saline solution
6. Canned pet food specific to your pets
7. Sweet electrolyte drink
8. Corn syrup
9. Vegetable oil
10. Pure diphenhydramine tables
11. Turkey blaster or large syringe
12. Pet muzzle

You’re not going to use all of these items for every pet poisoning case; you’re going to use only one or two depending on the type of poison and the type of pet.

Things to Remember in Case of Emergency

Although not wasting anymore clock stroke is crucial in helping a poisoned pet, panic never gets you anywhere. So in the first sign of pet poisoning, keep your nerves together and be always on your wits. Take time to survey the environment and the poison. Be sure you’re not exposed to the poison also. And keep a record of these numbers in plain view:

1. Your vet’s office number
2. ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888) 426-4435
3. National Animal Poison Control Center 1-800-548-2423

Call any of these numbers for help first unless you’re very sure about what to do in terms of pet poisoning first aid. And don’t forget to bring along with you the label or the item that poisoned your pet when you rush it to the vet.

Symptoms and Signs of Pet Poisoning

Because pets can’t tell people that they’ve just eaten something behind the cabinet and now they’re not feeling too good, you have to learn the signs of pet poisoning like

– drowsiness or wobbly gait
– vomiting
– uncontrollable urination and bowel
– drooling or foaming in the mouth
– rapid or slow breathing
– twitching, tremors, convulsions, or seizures
– pale to blue coloration on the gums (some poison cause very red coloration instead)
– bleeding on the nose, mouth, gums, anus, or sudden appearance of bruises
– burns to the tongue or the mouth

First Aid for Swallowed Poison

After observing signs of pet poisoning you suspect that your swallowed something poisonous, DO NOT induce vomiting right away. Get an idea about what the poison was before giving any first aid.

If the poison was something acidic, basic, corrosive, or petroleum based (e.g. toilet cleaner, turpentine, or petrol) DO NOT induce vomiting at all. Wash your pet’s mouth and face with running water instead and give milk or egg white within 10 minutes of pet poisoning.

If the swallowed poison was food or human medicine poisonous to pets or rat poison, you can induce vomiting by squirting hydrogen peroxide at the back of your pet’s tongue. Use 1 teaspoon of premium-grade, pure hydrogen peroxide per 10 lbs of your pet’s body weight. If the animal hasn’t vomited after 10 minutes, repeat the procedure for the last time before rushing your pet to the vet. DO NOT repeat this procedure for the third time.

Activated charcoal forced to your pet’s mouth using a syringe is good at delaying the absorption of the swallowed poison too.

First Aid for Absorbed Poison

Though some pets are smart enough not to swallow poison, they can still be vulnerable when the poison gets to their fur or skin. For absorbed poison, bathe the poisoned animal thoroughly with Palmolive liquid dishwasher soap making sure that it does not swallow a considerable amount of the soap during the process. Wear gloves when dealing with serious poison like pesticides or petroleum based products.

As a general rule, however, DO NOT attempt first aid if you’re not too sure about what you’re doing. And remember that prevention is better than cure when it comes to pet poisoning, so keep those poisonous materials and plants out if you have pets at home.

Leave a Reply